Sagan wins 1st stage of USA Pro Challenge in Aspen
August 19, 2013
Count Peter Sagan among the disciples of altitude training.
Sagan, the 23-year-old rising superstar of international cycling, won his first race in Colorado on Monday, sprinting to victory in the Aspen/Snowmass Circuit Race — Stage 1 of the 2013 USA Pro Challenge.
The national road racing champion from Slovakia and a winner of four stages at the Tour de France, Sagan came to Aspen two weeks ago to prepare for the high-elevation test of the stage race across Colorado as well as the upcoming World Championships in Italy.
"I think this (altitude training) helped me," Sagan said after winning a final sprint down Main Avenue to take Monday's stage win. "It was maybe the key."
Sagan, riding for the Cannondale team, had said earlier that he hoped training at elevation would help his race preparation.
Read more of the story at AspenTimes.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Man dies after hitting elk, rolling Jeep on U.S. Highway 40
- Coroner identifies Hayden man killed in early-morning crash
- Wondering why we are seeing smoke in the Yampa Valley?
- Head of Planned Parenthood and Trump cabinet member square off during Aspen Ideas Festival
- Selfless devotion earns Steamboat’s Pio Utu recognition