Rescuers find lost snowmobiler near Steamboat
January 19, 2011
Steamboat Springs — Routt County Search and Rescue volunteers located a lost snowmobiler who called for help from Buffalo Pass on Wednesday afternoon.
Search and Rescue spokesman Darrel Levingston said the man, who is from the Front Range, became separated from his group Wednesday morning. The man abandoned his snowmobile at about 11 a.m., presumably because it broke down or got stuck.
The man then began hiking along ski tracks in deep snow. He called 911 a few hours later.
Levingston said the man was exhausted but otherwise in good shape.
Rescuers arrived at the Dry Lake Campground parking area to begin the search by snowmobile at about 4:30 p.m. Rescuers were aided by coordinates provided by man's cell phone signal.
The man was reached shortly before 5 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Steamboat Parks and Rec Commission OKs new off-leash dog areas
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Buffalo Pass Road too rugged? Forest Service officials eye improvements
- Sweetwater Grill is sold; new concept to open in May
- Cooking With: Smell That Bread Bakery featuring its newly renovated location