Heavy snow falling in Steamboat; ski area has 7 inches since 5 a.m.
January 19, 2011
Steamboat Springs — The snow continues to fall in Steamboat Springs today as a fast-moving storm sweeps across the northern and central mountains of Colorado.
A winter weather advisory is in effect until 6 p.m. today for Steamboat, Hayden, Craig and the surrounding areas. As much as 8 inches of snow could fall in Steamboat proper, with higher totals possible on Mount Werner. Between 2 and 4 inches are forecast for Hayden and Craig.
The Steamboat Ski Area reported only 1 inch of new snow as of 5 a.m. this morning, but then picked up 6 inches of snow at mid-mountain and 7 inches at the summit by 11:15 a.m.
Icy and snow-packed roads are making for dangerous driving conditions across Routt County.
Today's high temperature is expected to reach 31 degrees, with an overnight low of 1 degree. A chance of snow returns to the area Friday night into Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Man who died in Yampa River identified as Steamboat Springs IT worker
- From the Editor: Steamboat Today launches new website
- Man who died after fleeing Steamboat police drowned
- Diesel drivers who are “rolling coal” in Colorado could face $100 fines