Hayden Town Council to consider asking Routt County for reimbursement | SteamboatToday.com

Hayden Town Council to consider asking Routt County for reimbursement

Pilot & Today staff

The Hayden Town Council at 7:30 p.m. Thursday will discuss whether it should seek reimbursement from Routt County for fees the town incurred from water upgrades at Yampa Valley Regional Airport.

Town Manager David Torgler said Hayden's engineering company, Schmueser Gordon Meyer, has billed the town $9,223 for an expansion review, water zone improvements and water hydrant flushing and testing at YVRA. He said those engineering costs should be paid by the county.

YVRA is in the final months of a terminal expansion that will add a new baggage carousel, restaurant and offices at the airport in Hayden.

"Any new development or redevelopment that comes to (Hayden) and would involve engineering costs, the developer of that project would pay for those engineering costs," Torgler said. "The development of the airport might fall under that same umbrella.

"To me, the county should be reimbursing the town for those expenses."

Torgler said Hayden did not budget for engineers to review the airport's infrastructure expansion, and he would like to negotiate payment for some or all of the engineering fees with Routt County Manager Tom Sullivan.

Recommended Stories For You

Sullivan said Wednesday that if the Town Council decides to seek reimbursement from the county, he would bring the request to the Routt County Board of Commissioners, which would decide whether reimbursement was warranted.

Also at Thursday's meeting, the council will vote on whether to renew Hayden's franchise agreement with Atmos Energy and discuss whether YVRA should be allowed to remove a piece of synthetic glass in its bar and snack lounge that prevents passengers from passing alcoholic drinks to the passenger waiting area, where alcohol is not permitted.

The council also will hold a public hearing on an ordinance that would rezone 174 acres of grassland within town limits to allow cattle grazing.

Go back to article