Familiar Steamboat hunter finds Yule Log
December 20, 2011
Steamboat Springs — Lifelong Steamboat Springs resident Alan Selch solved the Yule Log hunt by finding it Monday afternoon, said Tread of Pioneers Museum Director Candice Bannister. She said Selch found the 50-pound log under trees on the berm between Casey's Pond and the Mountain Fire Station.
According to Steamboat Today archives, Selch, or a relative, has found the Yule Log 14 times. But Selch worked alone this year, said his wife, Joy.
Selch was at work Monday night and couldn't be reached for comment.
The annual Yule Log hunt that requires participants to decipher clues filled with historical references dates back to at least 1978. Selch found it after the eighth clue and will be awarded a $150 Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association gift certificate and an engraved plaque.
Visit SteamboatToday.com Tuesday and pick up Wednesday's Steamboat Today for more on Selch and this year's hunt
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Steamboat Springs breast cancer survivor is now an advocate for mammography
- Noodles & More Saigon Cafe: Authentic Fresh Food
- Halloween weekend in Steamboat Springs appeals to all ghosts and ghouls
- Sweetwater Grill is sold; new concept to open in May
- Series of lakes atop Buffalo Pass provides easy, beautiful hikes