Demong leads US with 8th-place finish in France
January 13, 2012
Steamboat Springs — Billy Demong recorded a season-best finish and Johnny Spillane and Bryan Fletcher were both in the top 15 on Friday as the Nordic combined World Cup resumed action after the holiday break in Chaux-Neuve, France.
Demong finished eighth on Friday after jumping to 20th. Spillane was 13th, Bryan Fletcher was 14th, Taylor Fletcher was 25th and Nick Hendrickson was 49th.
Spillane jumped to 28th, but recorded the sixth fastest cross-country time to move up 15 spots.
Bryan Fletcher was poised for his first World Cup podium after jumping to second. He battled France's Jason Lamy-Chappuis for the lead in the first two laps of the cross-country ski before falling behind.
Italy's Alessandro Pittin was first, Lamy-Chappuis was second and Germany's Fabian Riessle was third.
The competition continues with individual Gundersen events Saturday and Sunday.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Man who died after fleeing Steamboat police drowned
- Man who died in Yampa River identified as Steamboat Springs IT worker
- From the Editor: Steamboat Today launches new website
- New Stagecoach subdivision, Young’s Peak Preserve, offers just 8 lots on 80 acres