Crowds at Gondola Square, Olympian Hall cheer on Nordic team
February 24, 2010
Whiteman Primary School watches live
Lowell Whiteman Primary School’s 60 students and most of their parents stuck around after the school day ended Tuesday to watch the U.S. Nordic Combined Ski Team win a silver medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Whiteman Primary counts team member Johnny Spillane, son of head of school Nancy Spillane, as a member of its family, said Debbie Gooding, director of admissions and student services.
“We couldn’t be there, but we wanted to share in the moment,” Gooding said.
The students were excited to watch Whiteman Primary alum Spillane and the rest of the Steamboat-affiliated team compete.
“I think it’s inspiring,” eighth-grader Patrick Milne said. “You want to be like that. I want to be like him, maybe not in skiing, but I want to be somebody from this town like Johnny Spillane.”
— Jack Weinstein
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Man who died after fleeing Steamboat police drowned
- Steamboat Parks and Rec Commission OKs new off-leash dog areas
- Buffalo Pass Road too rugged? Forest Service officials eye improvements
- Cooking With: Smell That Bread Bakery featuring its newly renovated location