Arctic blast headed toward Steamboat
January 31, 2011
Steamboat Springs — A weekend full of warm weather and clear skies are quickly a thing of the past.
Snow is expected to continue off and on throughout the day today, with accumulation of 1 to 3 inches in the city of Steamboat Springs. Today's high is forecast at 28 degrees.
The temperature will drop quickly this evening when an arctic blast of cold air is expected to drop into Northwest Colorado. Tonight's low is expected to dip to minus 4 degrees, and Tuesday's daytime high will reach only 5 degrees. Winds of 5 to 10 mph — and gusts up to 20 mph — will create wind chill values of as low as minus 25 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
A second round of precipitation is expected to hit the region about midday Tuesday. The snow will be relatively light, with only about an inch expected in the city proper.
Tuesday night's low will fall to minus 26 degrees, with a wind chill value of minus 45 degrees. The arctic air won't leave the region until Thursday, when daytime highs are expected to reach 21 degrees.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- New Steamboat parent company will soon reveal name, pass products
- New Thai restaurant coming to spice things up at base of Steamboat Ski Area
- Steamboat’s oldest downtown bar and restaurant listed for sale for $1
- Former Routt County resident shares story of journey to Judaism and fighting in the Isreali army
- Warm start to 2017-18 ski season in Steamboat Springs